Thursday, July 23, 2015

Goshen



Photo: Egypt. Pyramids. The land of Goshen with pyramids in the distance


The place called Goshen, in Egypt, plays an important role in Genesis 46 and 47. I think the spiritual place of Goshen also plays an important role in today's time and events.
As there was a great famine in Israel, Joseph instructed his newly reconciled family to come to Egypt, and settle in Goshen. He pointed out specifically that "every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians." (Gen. 46:34).
The word "Egypt" means in part "double straits (narrow place), enclosure, siege works, distress, bind, besiege, confine, cramp, shut in, show hostility, treat as a foe, to press upon, to compress, to overrun walls of defense". The spiritual place of Egypt is very confining, very oppressive, with a feeling that there is no where to turn, no options of escape. You are pressed in on all sides.
So, perhaps we can see why the Egyptians might find shepherds an abomination. The word "shepherd" is beautiful. It means to pasture, to tend, to graze, to feed, a companion, a special friend, to guard, to care for, to look upon with pleasure, to govern, to rule, to nourish, to feed, to delight in, etc. It is used metaphorically to describe God, and is indeed, one of His names, Jehovah Rohi, the LORD our Shepherd. A shepherd brings the flock or herd to a wide pasture to graze, and ensures a water supply, for cattle and flocks are always thirsty. They physically protect the flock, even at the risk to their own lives, against predators. A spiritual place that tries to confine and enclose, cramp and shut in, would find a true shepherd a great threat to its purpose.
God does not bring us to a place of death. He always brings us to a place of life. How can Egypt, especially as described above, ever be considered a place of life? Within the place called Egypt, God instructed His people through His servant Joseph, who was also a shepherd in his youth, as well as being a governor (shepherd) to Egypt to guide them through seven years of famine. Joseph instructed his brethren to abide in the land of Goshen in Egypt.
The word Goshen means "drawing near". Goshen is a place we come to, if we are wise and obedient, where even in times of pressing and besieging, it becomes a place where we can "draw near" to our Father God, our source of all things that pertain to life. In a place of Egypt there is nothing else that can deliver us, there is nothing  and no one else that can relieve us and restore us. Goshen is that place of drawing near where we can say, even in dire straits:
"The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in
green pastures;
He leads me beside the
still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of
righteousness
For His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the
valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
They comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me
all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house
of the LORD
Forever."
                              Psalm 23

It is necessary for us the dwell in the land of Goshen (drawing near), especially when we find ourselves in Egypt. Sometimes we cry out for our Father to draw near to us, but it is essential that we draw near to Him.
"But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the LORD God,
that I may declare all Your works."            Ps. 73:28

"Assemble yourselves and come;
Draw near together,
You who have escaped from the nations."           Isa. 45:20

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your captivity..."
                                                                            Jer. 29:13-14

"...let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful."   Heb. 10:22-23.

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."          James 4:8

If we follow our Shepherd to the land of Goshen, where He is leading us, we will find our pasture and still water, even in the place of confinement and besieging.

Our Father has a place called Goshen.


"Draw Me Nearer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teC0cmS_Y_o

"Lord, I thirst for You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOC7XGmzFJg

"Pray"*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC4kbteMLCg&sns=em

* Thanks to Fran B. for the song "Pray"
**Photo at the top of the page-Goshen area, Egypt

No comments:

Post a Comment