Friday, March 19, 2021

Warfare

The tabernacle has great meaning for all of us. Its structure and ministry are a pattern of Christ and His sacrifice for sin, and also His believers who form, individually and corporately, a living tabernacle, with the glory of God through Christ within. The entrances into the court of the tabernacle, and each of its two inner chambers, were called The Way, The Truth, and The Life, according to Jewish tradition. Jesus identified Himself with these entrances of the tabernacle into the presence of God: "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (Jn. 14:6). Even though the Israelites numbered many hundreds of thousands at the time when the tabernacle was assembled, there was only one entrance into the court of the tabernacle. Although many in the world believe that God may be approached in a variety of ways and religions, the design of the tabernacle shows that there is only ONE way to come to the Father, and that is through His Son. There is only ONE door for the sheep to enter (Jn. 10:7). The tabernacle is not about a religion, it is about a way. That way is paved with redemption from sin: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are mine...For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. Since you were precious in My sight, you have been honored, and I have loved you...Thus says the LORD your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel...I am the LORD, your Holy One, The Creator of Israel, your King...I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins." (Isa. 43). Isaiah in the verses above refers to the LORD's "calling" of His people by name. The title of the Sabbath reading for this week is Va-yikra, meaning "And he called". As the tribes of Israel were assigned by God to their encampment positions around the tabernacle (see Numbers 2), the encampment of the tribes formed the shape of a cross if viewed from the air. These groupings of tribes placed on the north, south, east, and west of the tabernacle were called "armies", and the tribes were numbered by their young men over twenty years of age, who were old enough for battle. The armies of warfare were assembled around the tabernacle. In the previous post, I mentioned that everything connected to the structure and the ministry of the tabernacle, according to Jewish tradition, was to accomplish "God's unity and the rectification of our souls and the world". This is referred to by the Hebrew word tikkum, a word which also happens to mean "warfare". What role does the tabernacle of God play in spiritual warfare , and therefore our warfare as living tabernacles of God in our current time? We are assured in scripture that evil men will grow worse. There is and will be deception and lies, betrayal and persecution, and corruption and violence. The earth quakes and erupts, and nature itself seems to be turning against the sins of men. Jesus prophesied all of these things in Mt. 24, and Lk. 21. In reading articles on some of the current and future developments and plans of science and government, the word "abominations" is too mild to describe them. It hurts our hearts just to look all around us and consider all of the evil working through the minds and hearts of men. The tabernacle tells us that the first place to begin the ministry of reconciliation between creation and God is within ourselves, His called people. This is the "rectification of our souls" described as part of the purpose of the tabernacle. When Solomon's temple was dedicated, the LORD promised Solomon that even in the middle of His catastrophic judgment, "If My people, who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I shall hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chron. 7:14). God's people were taught the covering power of the blood sacrifice (of Christ) through the tabernacle. The Sabbath readings for this week include Leviticus 2, 4-5, the offerings that cover sin. We, His called people, understand that the ministry of offerings and sacrifices of the tabernacle are fulfilled by the sacrifice of Jesus for the sins of the world to those who will accept that sacrifice. In the tabernacle, we are taught that the priest must make the covering sacrifice for himself first, before he can minister the sacrifice on behalf of the people. We also must sanctify ourselves, and allow ourselves to be cleansed first, before we can deal with others. This is our first stand in spiritual warfare. We start with ourselves. I have read and heard many comments that the failure of God's called people to start the warfare with ourselves has resulted in some having no interest in Christ or Christianity. They cry, "hypocrisy!", and they are not wrong. By failing to begin our warfare within ourselves, as the tabernacle teaches, we become a stumbling block to the acceptance by others of faith in Christ. By not beginning with ourselves first, we fall out of our "cross formation" in warfare. Moving on, as mentioned above, the "armies" of Israel were encamped in the specific pattern of a cross, with the tabernacle and all it represents, in their center. So now, with Christ set firmly within us, let us begin to turn our vision outward to the "rectifying of the world". David talked about the wicked who were around him, who come against him "to eat up my flesh". He spoke of the enemies and armies that were encamped against him, the war they brought to him, a time when father and mother forsake him, when the will of his adversaries and "false witnesses have risen against me, and such as breathe out violence". David said that because of the natural and spiritual warfare against him, "I would have lost heart". What caused him to inhabit a place of victory inspite of all of these attacks and challenges? "One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble, He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a Rock. And now my head shall be lifted above my enemies all around me; therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD...When You said, "Seek My face", my heart said to You, Your face, LORD, I will seek." (Psalm 27, excerpts). The tabernacle, and what it represents, was the place of David's courage, strength and victory. So why do we ignore the important lessons of the tabernacle? Another Psalm, which was written by Asaph, also mentions the tabernacle. (note: Asaph wrote 12 Psalms. The number 12 has significance with repeated mentions both in the Old and New Testaments. In Hebrew teaching, the number twelve means "totality, wholeness, the completion of God's purpose". The name Asaph in Hebrew points to the called people of God: "gatherer, gather in, assemble, to gather and take away, harvest, rearguard".) In Psalm 73, Asaph wrote, "...my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked...pride serves as their necklace; violence covers them like a garment. Their eyes bulge with abundance...They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression; they speak loftily. They set their mouths against the heavens, and their tongue walks through the earth...Behold, these are the ungodly, who are always at ease...When I thought how to understand this, it was too painful for me (thus my heart was grieved, and I was vexed in my mind) - Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end...I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory." (Psalm 73, excerpts). In this case, the evil that Asaph saw all around him, enlarged in pride because it seemed to go unpunished, caused Asaph to nearly stumble in his faith. Similar to the evil of our day, what Asaph saw hurt his heart and vexed his mind...until he entered the sanctuary of God. In the presence of God, Asaph was able to see the end as God knows the end. Like David, Asaph found that the presence of God in the sanctuary gave him the surety, and the peace that comes from that knowledge of "the completion of God's purpose", which is glory. This was Asaph's victory in spiritual warfare found in the tabernacle of God. One of this Sabbath's haftarah portions is from Isaiah 33. The chapter opens with woes to those who plunder and deal treacherously, and the disasterous effects upon the earth because of them (v. 9). Sadly, also mentioned in the same company as the plunderers and the treacherous, are those who are sinners and hypocrites in Zion, who shall live in fear (v. 14). However, rather than these things being the focus of our attention, for God will deal with them, Isaiah directs our eyes elsewhere: "The LORD is exalted, for He dwells on high; He has filled Zion with justice and righteousness. Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times, and the strength of salvation; the fear of the LORD is His treasure...Look upon Zion, the city of our appointed feasts; your eyes will see Jerusalem, a quiet home, a tabernacle that will not be taken down; not one of its stakes will ever be removed, nor will any of its cords be broken. But there the majestic LORD will be for us..." (v. 20-21). Part of our warfare tactics is about where we keep our eyes. It is easy for our attention to be consumed by the evil of our times, but that will not bring the victory in our warfare. The LORD assures us in Isaiah that evil will be dealt with. Our victory is in keeping our focus on the eternal things, and the tabernacle of God is one of those, never to be dismantled, but always the center of Zion and Jerusalem. This is the ultimate victory in spiritual warfare that the tabernacle teaches. Regardless of the increase in the evil around us, we have the sure knowledge that the completion of God's purpose will be glory. Our Father will complete His purpose in His eternal and living tabernacle. May God's called people bless His glorious name forever, and let the whole earth be filled with His glory, Amen, and Amen. For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea (Ps. 72:19, Hab. 2:14). If you would like to know the living tabernacle of God, you can pray: "Dear Father, I believe that You have given Your Son, Jesus, as the eternal sacrifice for my sins, as found in the pattern of Your tabernacle. I believe He died for me, and rose from the dead. Your Word promises that He is coming again to reign over the earth. Your Word also promises that the whole earth is filled with Your glory. You will make Your tabernacle with men. Forgive me, and cleaanse me from all sin, pride, and unrighteousness. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit so I can be the tabernacle of God's glory. I ask these things in Jesus' name. AMEN."

No comments:

Post a Comment