Monday, February 15, 2016

"ites" - Part 2



The ten tribes to be dispossessed from the land in Gen. 15, are continued here from Part 1 (see entry above this one):

Rephaims- This one was a shocker to me. The word "Rephaim" translates as "Whom Jehovah Healed". This means to heal, to repair, casting down, throw down, hero, champion. These people were an extremely ancient tribe of giants.  By their name, I can only assume that these giants were originally meant to be heroes who healed and repaired. Perhaps because of the circumstances of their origin, their purpose became twisted into that of giants who challenged God's people, instead of bringing healing to them.
We are to be champions who are vessels of God's healing and restoration. This is such a noble, and wonderful call. Will I do God's healing work with my life? I hope so.
"And they shall rebuild the old ruins, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the ruined cities, the desolations of many generations."   Isa. 61:4
"And you shall be called the "Restorer of the Breach", the "Restorer of Paths to Dwell in."
                                                                                                             Isa. 58:12b
Amorites- This means "a sayer". It means prominence, publicity, mountaineers, those who live on the heights. It means to think, to say, to will, to answer in one's heart, to promise, to intend, to bring to light. This tribe was the greatest and most powerful of the ten tribes. The name also means to boast, to act proudly, to avow, to lift one's self up, to boast of one's self.
Those who were given a prominent position, a position in the heights, proclaimed themselves, rather than the glory of God. They used their power to enforce their own will and words, rather than God's. I recognize how easy it is to cross from the privilege of speaking God's Word, into the snare of speaking my own word, from ascending the heights for God's glory, to ascending for my own glory instead, boasting of myself instead of proclaiming the greatness of God. Lucifer was judged in the following scripture for just this:
"For you have said in your heart: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit upon the mount of the congregation...I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High."          Isa. 14:13-14
Canaanites- This tribe also descended from Ham, the son of Noah, who disrespected his father's headship, and cast humiliation upon him. These were lowland dwellers, and they are associated with merchants, traders, and traffickers. The name also describes zealots. They were zealous, not for the things of God, but in money and trade. The meaning also includes to subject, humiliate, to be humbled, to be brought low, to surrender, to be depressed.  Nothing seems to bring us as low, as depressed to the point of defeat, as economic and financial trouble. However, to surrender to those feelings means to bow the knee to this tribe of Canaan. It's a powerless feeling when we find ourselves captured in this stronghold of traders. However, as Joseph was bought and sold, he found his way to freedom staying faithful to the will of God in all of his circumstances. This is a huge challenge, especially in these times as powers zealously buy, sell and trade, often at the expense of others. I want to maintain an attitude of thanksgiving in all circumstances, and not spend my life chasing after the things that have their end in a landfill. The world is running to the Canaanites to buy and sell, but God is calling us to cast them out of the land.
"The fruit that your soul longed for has gone from you, and all the things which are rich and splendid have gone from you, and you shall find them no more at all. The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, and saying, "Alas, alas, that great city that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls! For in one hour such great riches came to nothing!"  Rev. 18:14-17a
Girgashites- This tribe is different from the others because very little can be found to describe them. However, even that says much. Their name means to dwell on clay-like soil. Not much can be grown in clay. The soil is dense, and water runs off instead of penetrating, or percolating through. Seeds planted in clay will not grow to bear fruit. Even by Josephus' time, he said nothing was known of these people. I don't want to be so dense that the Lord cannot water me, and the seed of His Word cannot grow in me. I want my generations to thrive before the Lord, so we do not become a people no longer known in the earth. I want my life to be fruitful, with fruit that lasts. If I am clay at all, let it be clay that can be molded in the Potter's hands.
"And I will also take some of them for priests and Levites says the LORD. For as the new heavens and the new earth which I will make shall remain before Me, says the LORD, so shall your descendants and your name remain."          Isa. 66:21-22
Jebusites- These were descendants of Jebus, third son of Canaan, son of Ham. Their name means threshing floor. It means trodden down, tread down, reject, trample down. It means to kick out the foot reflexively like an infant, to loath, desecrate as a thing neglected and despised, to be polluted, to tread in a holy place polluting and profaning it, to trample to pieces. This stronghold loathes, rejects and profanes the people and things of God. This is a most serious condition. A person who loves the things of God, would never knowingly want to be a part of this stronghold. However, it is easy to be pulled into the trap of profaning people who belong to God, whom we don't understand, because they are not like us, their doctrine is not like ours, their practices are not like ours. We also can profane ourselves. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and, if I am a priest of the LORD, than I wear upon my head "Holy Unto The LORD", yet I know that I do not always treat with respect and reverence this body. Am I profaning something holy to the LORD? The answer has to be , "yes". My hope and prayer is that I honor all of those things that the atoning blood of Jesus, and the living Word of God has sanctified and made holy, including my own self.
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service (spiritual worship). And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you my prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."
                                                                                   Romans 12:1-2

As the spies of Israel were sent forth to report on the promised land, most came back fearful of the fierce tribes they saw inhabiting it. However, two came back to give a different report:
..."Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it." 
                                                                                   Num. 14:30



Our Father has called us to take possession of the land.

"Overcome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXZD_z3eCc

"Redeemed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGAYNKDyIU




No comments:

Post a Comment