Saturday, February 2, 2013

Giving

The Word of God often speaks about giving. Those who attend church or synagogue or mosque, have been taught the importance of giving financially to honor the LORD, and to support the ministry of the house of worship. So the point of this communication is not to speak specifically about tithes, gifts, and offerings in that same way.
The one scripture I wanted to learn more about is in Luke 6:38:
"Give, and it will be given to you;
good measure, pressed down,
shaken together, and running over
will be put into your bosom.
For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."
Most of us are familiar with this scripture, and in our minds, we apply it to financial giving, to which, it can certainly apply. But if we look back to the scriptures which precede the above, we understand that this scripture is a continuance of the lesson Jesus is teaching. The body of the lesson is about a Godly character. He instructs us to love our enemies, to bless those who curse us, to pray for those who spitefully and with malice use us. If someone robs us, we are to give him additional. If we lend money or property, we should do so without expecting it back. We should forgive and refrain from judging, and the same mercy will be given to us. Then comes the verse which we read above.
Jesus is speaking about giving in all different ways from a God-like character. These verses tell us what the heart of God is to man. He says in v. 35, that to pour out of ourselves in this manner makes us "sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil." Jesus says this is the same character we should have. The financial giving that we do should very naturally flow out of this same character. It is not a separate action, apart from our worship, or our prayer. It stems from the same content of God, Himself, in our spirit, and in our character. We were created in His likeness, and we are to conduct ourselves in the same manner.
The scriptures mention many givers who gave not out of their abundance, but out of the little that they had, but they touched the heart of God. They touched His heart, because they had the same heart as He has.
There is a saying "You can't out-give God". One of the Names of God in scripture is the Hebrew "El", as in El Gibor, Elohim, El Shaddai, Elohe Israel, etc. While the word El is interpreted to mean "God", the root meaning of the word "El" is a ram: as a sacrifice, as the skins that covered the tabernacle, as food.
This beautifully reflects the nature of our Creator, Who, by His holy name, is saying to us,
"If you need food, I AM your food. I will give Myself for you to eat."
You say, "LORD, when were YOU my food?"
He would answer, "I AM the fruit of the Tree of Life. I AM the Passover lamb consumed on the night of freedom. I AM the manna, poured out from heaven upon the ground to feed My people. I AM the shewbread in the Tabernacle that fed My priests. I AM the food carried by the ravens to feed My prophet. I AM the oil that was miraculously poured out to provide for the starving widow and her son. I AM the unleavened bread of the Communion, broken for you, even the body of Christ."
As the ram, the LORD says: "If you need covering, I AM the skins that will cover you."
You say, "Father, when were You my covering?"
Your heavenly Father would answer,"I AM the garment that covered Noah. I AM Joseph's coat of many colors. I AM the mantle that covered Elijah, and fell from heaven upon Elisha. I AM the tunic without seam that they gambled for at the Cross. I AM the pure white linen that covers My priests,  the Redeemed, the Bride. I AM the glory that covers My sons."
As the ram, our Father declares, "If you need a sacrifice to cover with blood the debt of your soul, I AM that sacrifice."
If you ask, "LORD, when did You sacrifice Yourself for me?"
He would answer, "I AM the ram caught in the thicket. I AM the sacrifice of the Passover that delivered you from the death angel. I AM the Savior that sacrificed Himself on the cross."
Our giving, financial, and otherwise, should come from this same mind, heart and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment