Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Know



I remember very clearly the moment I was saved.
I was listening to a discussion on TV about prophecies in the Old Testament that were direct references to the Messiah, Jesus. I had never heard about Jesus being in the Old Testament.
So, being curious, I got my dusty Bible, given to me when I was 12, off the shelf, and tried to follow along with the verses being discussed. The final reference given was Isaiah 53. I found Isaiah, and began reading as the TV discussion continued, but faded away, in the background.
As I read this passage, something happened to me. I sat stunned. I think my mouth was hanging open. I had an experience, an encounter, that would be difficult for someone else to understand if they have never had a similar experience. After reading the chapter from Isaiah, there were three things I instantly "knew". In that moment, I knew these three things like I knew my name, and where I lived-with complete certainty. Those three things were:
  • God is Who He says He is.
  • Jesus is Who He says He is.
  • Every word in this Book, the Bible, is true.
As important as it is that I now "knew" the first two things, I am so very happy that the Holy Spirit didn't stop there. It was very important, equally important, for me to know the third truth- that every word in the Bible is true. From that moment on, I was not satisfied until I had read every word of the Bible. I couldn't wait to find out all of this truth.
I know there are believers who have little interest in reading, or studying the scriptures. I don't understand that because of what I experienced. I'm glad that my Father in heaven made sure that I understood and received that third truth. My life has not been the same, and the depths and the riches of His written Word have meant everything to me. It has helped me, changed me, saved me, educated me, and the process continues.
It is too late for anyone to try to convince me that scripture is untrue, inaccurate, or outdated. I already "know" that these arguments are dismissable. Scripture does not need man to prove it true. It proves itself true over and over again. It has been proven true in my own personal experience, so I am not about to question its genuineness at this point. Scripture to me is not a fairy tale, nor a religious doctrine to be debated. It is something that I experienced. One cannot deny an experience. 
However, I am concerned for those of faith who do not read the scriptures, and do not study them. When even religious leaders begin to say and write* that passages in scripture are not to be believed, nor taught as truth, how can some Christians ever keep their faith in God, and in Jesus? What god are they believing in? One that has given them a book of lies? Are they saying, "Yes, I believe in God, but not in what He said or did", or "Yes, I believe in Jesus, but not in the miracles He performed, nor the prophecies He spoke"? Which God and Jesus are they believing in then?
In a time when faith is questioned and criticized at every turn, at least "know" the God, the Jesus, in whom we profess to believe. We're going to need Him.

"I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy name for Thy lovingkindness and for Thy truth: for Thou hast magnified Thy word above all Thy name."
                                                              Psalm 138:2

Our Father has exalted His word even above His name.

Heavenly Father, God of Truth, teach us, lead us and guide us in Your Word. Your Son is Your Word become flesh. By Your word, the heavens and earth were created, and by Your Word, they are maintained in place. By Your Word, we know You, Your heart, Your will, Your promises. By the power and truth of Your Word, we are saved, healed, delivered. We are set free by the Word that we know. Give us a hunger, and thirst for Your Word, as well as for Your righteousness. Let our children be taught Your Word, so great will be their peace.
We thank You for the precious gift of Your Word to us, and teach us how to keep it in our hearts forever. In Jesus' name we ask, AMEN.


"This I Believe"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-m9sRRN9MA

"Your Love (I Have Been Touched, Changed, Healed)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feHkL_zuUwc


*referenced article

No comments:

Post a Comment